Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Falling Whistles

Tonight I feel like anyone can make a difference. There are so many terrible things that are happening in the world and nothing is being done to change anything. Children are dying, women are being raped, and diseases are spreading by the second. Now we can make a difference. Sean the founder of a charity called "Falling Whistles" came to Ball State all the way from LA to tell a powerful story. One of the biggest wars is happening right now and many people don't even realize the significance of how many lives the war is affecting. He explained the horrors of children being sent out on the war fronts armed with nothing but a whistle to serve as human shields. He came up with a very simple idea, sell whistles in order to make a difference in Congo. How can a single man in a giant universe make a difference in a war? A very common question but with a miracle he did...he is. During his presentation I could feel how he moved the audience with the images he has witnessed of these people in Congo. A simple speech can change the mind set of many. It's truly amazing the power a single voice can hold. It can bring people to tears, make them angry, and challenge them to make a difference in the world.
By sitting in the audience this evening it put into perspective my life. Here, every single day I worry about school, what outfit I am going to wear this evening, or the the drama in my social life. All of these things encompass my full attention and use my energy that can be put to more beneficial things. We never realize in our perfect little lives that while we live CHILDREN are being sent to war. Innocent lives are being stripped from the world, and all we care about is what the plans for this weekend are. I know that I am going to appreciate the things and people I have in my life. I want to take full advantage of what opportunities lie ahead of me. Most importantly though, I am going to give back to those less fortunate than me. One day I believe that this corrupted world that we survive in will one day come to peace. It may not be a day that I will be able to live, but until then I will try my best to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment