Thursday, November 10, 2011

The color of our skin may be different, but the blood that runs through our veins is the same.

I was sitting in my sorority chapter meeting Monday morning and we had a guest speaker. A girl named Paula came to tell us about a campaign called Falling Whistles and that she was trying to get at least 1000 people to come watch the founder of this campaign speak on Wednesday evening. I’ve always ha a soft spot for children and so I got excited to go learn more about this campaign. When the founder, Sean, walked out on stage Wednesday evening and started speaking, I gained something I didn’t expect. Sean is a great public speaker. He left things open for discussion the whole way through and made an enormous effort to get to know the audience. He asked us what was important to us. Then he told us that one thing he loves is story telling. He loves story telling because it is the one great connector between all people. By sharing stories, you’re able to learn of commonalities that you never would have known existed. He then proceeded to tell us his story of how he came to build the falling whistles campaign. His story is one that I will never forget. He showed us pictures that will remain sketched into my mind, and every time I see a child suffering I will think of his story. When he spoke, you could almost literally see his passion radiating. When you looked at his face you could see the tragedies he has learned etched into eyes and his smile. Sean works to eradicate the deadliest war that not only my generation but also so many generations before mine have ever seen. Yet, we aren’t actually seeing anything. We are too busy on our laptops and cell phones to take the time to realize that our own greediness and those devices that we depend upon so desperately are causing the deaths of children too small to carry a gun and the raping of women in the Congo. Sean works for a better world. Sean is the reason I still have hope in the future of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment