Monday, December 12, 2011

November 10, 2011

It was a Tuesday like any other. I walk into class a few minutes early and assume my seat against the wall. Class starts promptly at 5pm. As the teacher begins her lecture, take a moment to survey the students and take note of the atmosphere in the room. It’s the beginning of class, so quite a few students are tentatively listening to today’s lesson on “Delivering Presentations.” The teacher has prepared a few PowerPoint slides to aid in today’s lesson. As class goes on, though, the students become less and less intrigued with the slides. I start to notice facebook popping up on the screens of the students’ PC’s and Mac Book Pro’s. The girl next to me is actually tweeting… he Twitter profile has pictures of Nicki Minaj as the background. Then I of course realize that I myself have not retained the words spoken by the teacher in the past 2 minutes or so. So, I try my hardest to pay attention, but I find myself checking the clock every few minutes. An hour and fifteen minutes is too long for me on a Thursday evening. Then, everyone’s attention is averted from their computer screens as the teacher tells us it’s time to break up into groups. Unfortunately, I can’t actually recall what we were working on in those groups, as I am writing this journal about a month late. However, I do recall it being a short, simple group exercise. I think it may have been looking up the definitions of rhetorical terms and explaining them to the class. Easy enough… But maybe I have the wrong day. Anyways, as the activity winds down and the clock ticks closer to 6:15, the teacher begins to give us reminders about our final drafts due the upcoming Tuesday. “Don’t forget to have both drafts along with your final…” she says as students put up their computers and zip their backpacks in preparation to leave, many on their ways to dinner in the atrium. 6:12. “It’s not time to leave yet… I don’t know why you’re all packing up.” We sit there in relative silence for 3 minutes. “Alright have a good weekend.”

No comments:

Post a Comment