Thursday, December 8, 2011

Chapter 6 (eww)

Chapter 6

Upon reading the chapters, I feel that the author could have done a better job titling the chapters. Ignoring that, Chapter Six talks all about writing and organizing research papers.

After first skim, this chapter seems quite useless, how ever useless this chapter seemed, i did find a few useful tidbits from it.

One of the few useful things from the chapter was the idea of a graph to get you started on your paper. This is a very good, yet old idea. In HIgh School I would make detailed outline instead of a complete rough draft and that was all I needed, this worked very well for me seeing as I found/find rough drafts to be slightly pointless (personal opinion).

Another good thing about the chapter is the troubleshooting section. This provides things to look for in your paper as you re-read it. After this lovely paragraph it goes on to talk about analyzing a student essay, something I don't think should have been put in this chapter and seems quite random, maybe if they had added a chapter all about editing your paper.

The book also seems to have a bad tendency to like to put random pictures in and attempt to make pop references, which don't really always work with the text. I like the size of the book and i'm sure there is very useful information that I am missing but I just don't think it's the best book iv'e seen for english, but it's also not the worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment