Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Bucket Speech

This week I participated in an event on campus called the Bucket Speech. The Bucket Speech is a contest put on by the class COMM 210. It’s a contest where everyone entered gives speeches about a charity in which they think is reputable enough to donate to. The winner’s charity is then given all of the money that was collected over the semester in a bright red bucket. When I first heard about the contest I was a little skeptical about entering, because we also had to give the speech in class for our final speech and it could have an affect on our grade depending on how well we do. On the other hand we also got extra credit for entering the contest so I figured it all evened out in the end. I ended up giving my speech on an organization called Teacher’s Treasures. Teacher’s Treasures is an organization that supplies teachers with underprivileged students the school supplies needed to teach the class. I was competing with kids from other sections of the class who I had never met before so rather than watching to see if they were any good I decided to go first. The other people speaking were also pretty good and I was worried about the results. In the end I failed to make it to the final round and the three judges rated me first, second, and third in the round, which is actually pretty good, but other people must have done even better. Afterwards I feel like it was all worth it I did have some fun and even earned some extra credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment