Thursday, December 8, 2011

Chapter 3

I’ll admit, I didn’t really feel like I learned all that much after reading chapter 3, but I did gain a better understanding on structure. The chapter further used pictures as a means to show how visual rhetoric shapes reality in particular ways. I originally thought this would just be a rehash of the first two chapters, in a way it was. There were a few new points that I did enjoy though, like how they talked about the arrangement of on argument. Something that I enjoy about writing is structure and the arrangement of paragraphs and sentences. I liked how the book talked about the importance of the flow of an essay, and how it should not go from one idea to the next. Each of the structures that the book presented was interesting and helpful ways for essay structure. I had heard of most of the structure suggestions given, but there were some that I had not heard of before. The block structure was one that I was not very familiar with; the example given was talking about individual James Bond films and relates the spy plot to the real-world political climates. I really liked that idea and I will probably use that structure in the future. The chapter went on to talk about crafting a position paper. This section talked about writing about the same thing with different styles like saying; “I believe that the war is bad” and “The current war can only lead to death and despair if it is to continue”. The example essay showed the differences between relying on “I” and “we”. Preferably, when writing essays I tend to stay away from the “I” style. But that’s all personal preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment