Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The play Reason to Be Pretty

I went and saw Reasons to be Pretty play this past Friday. As I went into the theatre I realized that it was not a traditional theatre. The audience was on three sides of the stage, unlike most theatres where the audience is only on one side of the stage. This gave me a perfect view of both the audience and the performers as the play progressed. The play was very modern due to the use of cell phones and the mentioning of Facebook through the play, and was a comedy. There are only four actors and four characters in Reasons to Be Pretty. The play was about two main couple who went through different struggles in each relationship.

Throughout the beginning of the play, the girlfriend of one couple was cussing to her boyfriend about how he was so mean. As the boy friend was being yelled at, and some choice words were said, the audience was rolling with laughter. As I looked around, I could see people nudging each other while laughing getting their neighbors laughing as well. In the end of this scene the girl friend ends up moving out the apartment.

The actors did a great job engaging the audience in the comedy of the play. There were very few times that the audience was not laughing at the actors. Within these moments the plot progressed. The play reminded me a lot about an old TV show called Friends. I would not really understand what would happen throughout the TV show, due to my young age, but, found it similar because of my dad would laugh through the episode only stopping rarely.

Before I knew it the show was over. The little time I had at the theatre was over, and I knew that the actors and actresses did their job well. They distracted the audience for a full two hours and 10 minutes without us even thinking about it. As I filed my way out of the theatre I could hear the people all around me commenting on how the play went. I did not hear one negative comment about the play; most were about how funny the performance was, and about how well the actors did on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment