Thursday, September 22, 2011

Jeannette Walls

Going into the lecture, I was expecting to hear from a boring author of this book I was forced to read over the summer. And believe me when I use the term "forced." I am not much of a book worm, so when I ended up picking up a book and reading it cover to cover, there had to be some sort of driving foce behind my action. The Jeannette Walls presentation was far more than what I had expected. Unlike any other lecture which would make me yawn, this particular one kept my interest consistently throughout the entire speech. Rather than a simple overview of the best seller, she chose to elaborate on memories she had written in the book, and give more insight behind each one. With each story she told, she chose to include motivational words. What I had taken away from the whole experience was more what I would have expected to take away from a motivational speaker. One thing she quoted from her mother, "Everything works itself out in the end; and if it's not all worked out, then it isn't the end yet," will stick with me for as long as I can hold on to it. When a speaker can make an impression such as this on an audience member, the speaker is utterly inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment