Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I Think I'm Getting Dumber!

In the article is Google Making Us Stupid by Nicholas Carr, he discuss how the internet is making readers lose the ability to read lengthy articles or books without losing focus. Carr says that he feels something changing in his brain. He now struggles with reading the things which came easy to him in the past. Carr noticed how his mind would drift away from his reading on to something more interesting, only after a couple of pages.

I have also noticed the same thing Carr has noticed in his mental capability of reading. Reading was never my favorite thing to do, but if I had to read a chapter or article, I would read it without skimming and be done with it. This was before I used the internet daily. However, now while reading a lengthy article or a chapter in a book I get distracted and taken off topic. Even while I was reading this article, after the fifth paragraph I stopped reading and got on Facebook.

Some of Carr’s literary friends and associates also notice the same change Carr was experiencing. In today’s society people mostly skim through things instead of actually reading through the article or book. “My mind now expects to take in information the way the Net distributes it: in a swiftly moving stream of particles.” I think Carr tries to get the readers of this article to notice the change in them as well by writing a very lengthy article. He wants the readers to see how many times and how long it would take for them to stray away from the article on to something else on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment