Monday, September 19, 2011

All Ham no Pineapples !

Clint Kearney
Mrs. Evans
September 19, 2011
All Ham No Pineapples!!!
Kris, Pricilla and I were sitting at Woodworth eating some grub, while in the middle of the conversation, Kris yelled “All Ham No Pineapples.” This is an event that was held on Wednesday September 14 in Pruis Hall. From the dining hall, we walking to Pruis, in the rain. As funny as it seems, Kris forgot to tell me that it is a “black people thing.” So I just started laughing because I was the only white person in there but that’s quite all right because I love black people.
The show started kind of late, so from the time Kris and I arrived, everyone was dancing to the hip-hop music playing over the speakers and conversing with one another. It was quite a positive atmosphere for me because everybody told Kris to introduce them to his “white friend.” After I had met quite a few people, sat down and began to prepare myself for the show, it started.
The preface to the main attraction was a young woman from Indianapolis who shared a poem that she had written. This was no flowers and love poems. This poem was straight from the soul of this girl and dealt with the struggles in her home community. This poem had not much rhythm or rhyme, but it did. The way she composed it was keeping me on the edge. I listened intently as she went from a sudden scream, to a dim silence. The dynamics in the poem were great enough to make a symphony composer jealous. The poem and passion she had put into it was astonishing and if the main attraction followed suit, I was in for a good night.
The main speaker/comedian was pretty funny and had some funny things to say but I had to leave early with Kris so we did not get to see the main comedian for very long but that’s okay because the first girl was enough for me. She blew me away. With that, went back to the dorm, tried to digest the information and lyrics shot at me so vividly and honest, and the dreamt.

No comments:

Post a Comment