Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How Deeply Do We Need the Divine?

"Beyond 'New Atheism'"

I chose this article because controversies over religion interest me. I don't consider myself to be a part of any one religion, I don't even know if I believe in God, but I'm not an Atheist either. But, I know that religion is embedded in all cultures and societies so I like to educate myself on all the different beliefs out there. The author makes some very good points about the issues Atheism poses and I find compelling the concept that Society might not know how to survive without the idea of the divine. And most believe their religion to be the only "right" or "true" one, yet most refuse to acknowledge the fact that there are so many religions out there. Obviously, not each religion is the "true" one, but who's to say theirs is when every religion believes that about their own?
Even though I don't know my own stance with the divine, I have to acknowledge the fact that society and culture will most likely never give up on the idea, no matter how much proof there may be of evolution or even if God were to be disproved. And this article addresses these issues directly. In fact, after reading this article, I don't know if I would want religious institutions to ever dissolve, even if I may never be a part of one. I can be okay with that as long as I know that society is able to survive and thrive. If they must have a divine creator to do so, I can accept it. This article first caught my interest simply because it is on the subject of religion, but I have come to new insights about religious institutions since reading it.

1 comment:

  1. Keep in mind that evolution doesn't disprove the existence of God, although some people do believe that it would. Not all religions (even Christian ones) are against the theory of evolution.

    ReplyDelete