Monday, September 12, 2011

Envision Chapter 1 Reading

Ross Yates

Evans

09/12/2011

Journal #1

The very thought that a message could be conveyed through a single image and still be fairly detailed in what they want to get across is pretty interesting to me. Not only could they get a message across but the images could also mean something entirely different to other people. This aspect is something that I had never really thought about too much before reading chapter one in Envision: Writing and Researching Arguments.

I had always read the cartoons in newspapers or ads without actually thinking about what they truly meant or what they were trying to get across. I would skim them and only look at the “surface level” of the image. I have recently begun to look at more of the cartoons and pick them apart and try to find the deeper message. What I hadn’t really thought about was what everyone else was getting out of the same cartoon as me. For example many people interpreted the cartoon depicting Mohammed driving a moving van with a nuclear missile concealed in the back very differently. Some people even wanted the cartoonists death because of the cartoon. The fact that the cartoon enraged so many people meant that it had done its job. This lead me to realize how stirring and powerful just one image could be. This power isn’t limited to just cartoons; Television spots and commercials are also a part of the media spectrum.

After reading the first chapter I began to think about all of the TIME magazine covers that had many captivating pictures with their own power and message. This lead my thinking to branch out and think about all magazine covers that had to stand out and convey the emotion as well as capture the attention of a person looking to read something.

I actually found that the rhetorical process of thinking to be interesting once you have it down. I honestly wasn’t very interested before picking the book up, but I have to admit it’s not so bad. It does take some time to get acclimated to the actual thought process but once you do it’s fairly smooth sailing.

1 comment:

  1. You don't need to put your names, etc. at the top of your post. You'll note at the bottom of your post your name appears. Also, you might want to come up with a title for your post that more specifically reflects what you are writing about.

    ReplyDelete