Friday, September 9, 2011

I'm Not Sure What You're Saying, Lady, But I'm Working On It

Rebecca Wolfley

English 103

Journal 1

Evans

I’m Not Sure What You’re Saying, Lady, But I’m Working On It

“Come in, It’s like church, there’s a lot of seats in the front, and like church, we’re glad you’re here.”

Cheryl Glenn spoke these words as she witnessed skeptical undergraduates debate whether or not arriving late to her lecture was a good idea. Glenn didn’t seem to mind. In fact, she seemed happy to know that students were showing up to her lecture as opposed to the majority of the crowd made up of instructors.

As an undergraduate myself, I didn’t know what to expect from Glenn’s lecture, and for a majority of the time, I had no idea what she was talking about or referencing to. I just started taking a Writing and Rhetoric class three weeks ago, and when my English teacher suggested attending, I figured I might as well go so I could write about it. Walking into the lecture, I didn’t think I would make much sense of anything this lady said. I was still trying to grasp the concept of rhetoric in writing, and now I’m expected to know what feminism is and the relation of the two? I definitely couldn’t process it. What was feminism, again? Is it any different from prejudice? If so, how? I don’t know.

Glenn went on for about forty-five minutes about rhetoric and feminism. I wasn’t sure if she was comparing the two or speaking about rhetoric within feminism and vice versa. One thing Glenn mentioned that did alert me was rhetoric in silence. I understood that.

It all goes with the cliché, “Sometimes saying nothing, is better than saying anything at all.” There is even rhetoric in the silent treatment. When a person gives the silent treatment, it’s an intentional action. She is obviously upset or sad about something and does not want to give attention to the person who caused it. She is saying so much without muttering a word.

So, is this what rhetoric is? I’d like to think so. It’s the easiest way of understanding it. Rhetoric is what ideas and opinions are persuaded through the images and words we create, right? I think I got it.

Glenn’s lecture didn’t teach me much about feminism or the rhetoric within it or outside of it or whatever. I wasn’t catching on. Although, she did open my eyes to what rhetoric was. Now, maybe I’ll understand what this textbook is saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment