Monday, October 24, 2011

Remember That Time I Already Learned This?

I do. Chapter seven of Envision covered avoiding plagiarism and documenting sources. At this point, I'd like to mention the huge appreciation I have for my high school honors English teacher, Mr. Jones. Because of his advanced instruction, I feel like the smartest kid in my college English class.

I learned all this plagiarizing and documenting nonsense my freshman year of high school. Give properly formatted credit where credit is due. Simple enough. So, did I read the chapter of Envision? Hell, no. I skimmed it. I read through the headings and didn't come upon anything new. Mr. Jones had the kids of my class doing lengthy research papers in proper MLA format all four years of school. He was so precise in grading that points were taken off if the margins were slightly off. He would constantly stress how difficult college English courses are and how the class needs to be prepared for them. He had some good jokes, but that was probably his greatest. I was fairly intimidated.

Now I'm in that "difficult" class, and I laugh at the thought of it. I suppose that's what Mr. Jones's was going for. Thanks, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment