Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My close encounter with plagiarism

Chapter seven of Envision talks about plagiarism and how to avoid plagiarizing. This whole chapter reminded me of a funny thing that happened to me my second year of high school. I was in tenth grade English and was doing great I had an A and everything seemed really simple. All we had done in the course was book based so far. I was good at reading and retaining what I had been reading in the class. Toward the end of the course there was a twist though, a lengthy research paper that would soon throw my grade why off. The paper was due just a week before school ended and I had it done on time and in what I though was the correct format, but I guess I was wrong.

On the last day of school we got our papers back from our teacher, but something was wrong with mine. It had a big fat red F written on the front so I went to the front of the room and confronted my teacher. He said he believe I had plagiarized, but he also said it looked like an accident. With just a couple minutes left in the last class of my sophomore year my teacher told me I could fix the citation mistake I had made on the paper. I asked him what my grade was without the paper and e told me it was a B+. So I thought about it for a while and answered as snarky as I could no I’m fine with my grade, and to top it all off on my way out of class I triumphantly threw my F of a research paper in the trash. By now though I have learned my lesson that citation is important and needs to be done correctly the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment