Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Envision Chapter 7

As I read through this chapter I found it very interesting. I viewed documenting sources differently from what the book described. I thought that originally this chapter would just talk about what you should and should not do while document sources. On the third, or so, page of this book I found it interesting how the author talked about how you are contributing to a conversation with other writers. I just thought that when writing research papers you only cited sources because you give credit to the authors of the sources. I never considered the possibility of me actually contributing to a group conversation.

I also found it interesting when I read the paragraph discussing how using citations helps guide the readers. Meaning, the work(s) cited page allows the reader of your papers to look back on to the sources that you found. It is almost like a treasure map for the readers of your paper to find your sources.

Taking notes is also very important. If trying to avoid unintentional plagiarism taking good, clear notes helps to avoid this. Through good note taking, you can see where you found certain information. I think the story about the writer who worked a paper for years got accused of plagiarism. Over the years to researching she forgot where certain information came from. She said it was her fault and promised that she would try not to do it again.

I think I see a clearer understanding of why we, as writers, need to know why work(s) cited pages are needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment