Thursday, October 6, 2011

Chapter 5

I liked reading chapter 5 in the Envision book. I liked the iceberg research picture which shows the amount of research done to complete a research paper that the reader may not see. It shows how many different types of resources you can use to create a paper. This reminds me of my last paper in high school which had two pages of works cited. This chapter also informs the reader that you will have to use the right search terminology in order to find sources for your topic. What I learned was, that depending on where I am searching also depends my search terms. I recently did a paper, and I could only use the libraries data base, or books. I found this difficult and the reason probably was because I was not using the correct search terms to get the sources I needed. Other key topic I liked was primary and secondary sources and what those mean. I found this was similar to what I have been doing already within papers. The primary source is the main source that you use within a paper. Then the secondary source then just adds extra information that supports the main article. I remember one of my teachers in high school talking about this and it makes more sense now. Later on in the chapter the book talks about annotated bibliographies. It says that this informs the reader about why you used each source. I like this idea because the writer can actually say what their thoughts are on a source and why they choose it. I think that this chapter will help me write better research papers, help me find source easier, and as well as how to use annotated bibliography.

No comments:

Post a Comment